KMKG

 

Carmentis

Result

Print Page
Pedal-harp
  • CollectionCollection Musical Instruments
  • Inventory number2008.014
  • Object nameHarp
  • ClassificationMusical instruments > Chordophones > Composite chordophones > Harps > Frame harps > Frame harps with tuning action > Frame harps with pedal action
  • TitlePedal-harp
  • CreatorÉrard
  • GeographyPlace of production: London (Europe > Western Europe > United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland > Great-Britain > England > Greater London (metropolitan area))
  • Date1851
  • MaterialGut (Animal > Intestine)
    Metal
    sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus) (Vegetal > Wood (vegetal material) > Hardwood > Maple (Acer sp.))
    Norway spruce (Vegetal > Wood (vegetal material) > Softwood)
  • DimensionsHeight: 175,6 cm, Width: 46 cm, Depth: 90 cm
  • DepositoryMusée des Instruments de Musique / Muziekinstrumentenmuseum
  • OwnerMusées royaux d'art et d'histoire/Koninklijke Musea voor Kunst en Geschiedenis
  • Order photographs
Description

46 strings. Semi-cylindrical sound box. Double-action mechanism with « fourchettes » (forks), 7 pedale (the 8th one for the swell shutters has disappeared). Sound box with five rectangular gills at the back.
Compass : C' to f''''

Inscription on the neck, on the mechanism side: "Sebastian / and Pierre Erard's Patent N°5983 / 18, Great Marlborough Street, LONDON".
On the capital, in rolls of parchiament : "PIERRE ERARD / Published dec 18 1835".

Decorations : neo-gothic style, feet top with winged creatures.

Founded at the end of the 18th century by Sebastian (1752-1831) and Jean-Baptiste (1750-1836) Erard in Paris, the Erard company first produced piano-fortes, before adding to their shops the new harps designed by Sebastian. He was the inventor of several technological advances in both instruments, like the double-action harp and the double-escapement piano. At his death, his nephew continued to prosper the firm which became one of the most renowned makers of pianos and harps. The company continued to function until it closed in the 1980’s.